Monday, June 8, 2009

West to East

It's a little after noon. I'm at the library in Arcade, NY. Strange how little this library has changed since I was a child (except of course for all of the computers). I've been here (in NY state) for almost a week. I'm adjusting in many ways.

The move and long drive from Teec Nos Pos went smooth. Actually, so smooth that I'm convinced it is a sign. Yes, it really was time for me to make the big move. I suspect those missing most are of the canine sort (I picture one dog in particular laying in the sand out in front of my old apartment).

I drove to Cortez my first night and slept on my friend Mike's couch. Thursday night I had fun visiting friends in Mancos. On Friday I drove to visit an old girlfriend in Denver (it was pretty stressful...I don't know why I decided to add to my turmoil).

In Iowa I ended up in a convoy of vehicles marked "Vortex 2" and having all sorts of weather instruments projecting from their tops (this morning on the news I saw footage of a tornado taken by these wanderers).

It took me 2 1/2 days to make the drive from Denver to my Mom's place in Franklinville, NY. I rested for one day and then drove down to Wellsboro, PA to unload the semi trailer with my stuff. My brother in law and my niece's boyfriend help me out.

I will go to Great Britain for the month of July. I plan to put most of my time into writing and researching on the islands off the NW coast of Scotland. I have some ideas of a story taking place up that way (and involving the famous Benbecura Mermaid burial). I also hope to get some details for a Sherlock Holmes piece in London and some important details from Plymouth, England for another project. I guess I have enough writing to keep me busy for the coming year.

I suppose I should try to find a job. I'm hoping to substitute teach in the fall in the Wellsboro area. Somehow I am confident things will fall into place.

No comments: