Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Writing Retreat and Finding Wabi

Franklinville had started to close in on me. I'd thought about backpacking down into PA. I haven't been backpacking in years, don't have a camp stove, and think I may be too old to sleep on the ground (it's possible ...isn't it!?). I was looking for a quiet time to commune with nature, work on my writing, straighten out some thoughts. I found I could rent a cabin in Letchworth for fairly reasonable. Why not? I figured I could get in plenty of hiking without having to carry all of my junk.

It was a perfect retreat. I hiked at least 10 miles per day. I had the luxury of a fridge and a stove...as well as shelter. To condense the week--I hiked, wrote, read, ate, slept (repeat this cycle over and over).

I was somewhat surprised by family visits. My brother Pat came early on Friday and spent the night. Sister Camille, husband Mike and two sons came on Saturday. Mom and sister Doreen came on Friday. Evy and all of her family showed up on Sunday in the late afternoon. It may sound as though I was not alone at all...actually it blended well (just enough time alone and with company).

The big nature sightings included a porcupine, many deer, constant chipmunks and squirrels, and huge swarms of bugs. The weather was wet at times, cold at other times, and occasionally sunny (I guess all of my years in the desert makes me open to the rain). I found myself very appreciative of the shelter. Again, the mix was enjoyable.

I did get some writing done. The final tally is 90 pages drafted on my mermaid/merman/merworld fantasy. The time alone gave me plenty of time to think through some of my ideas, create new directions for the piece, and get plenty down on paper. I feel almost ready for Benbecula Island.

I learned a new word- wabi. It was used in a book on architecture I read. It is more or less taking something you might not appreciate and looking at it in a new way. I applied it to the artistic graffitti filling the walls of my cabin- very wabi.

Well, my friends, I am in complete need of a shower. I know the librarians are asking themselves...who is this guy?Thanks for your continued reading and remember wabi is where you find it.

No comments: