Thursday, July 2, 2009

Back in Dublin

So, I wish I could write with the sincereity and wisdom of James Joyce. I saw a film The Dead based on a short story of his from The Dubliner. I thought it was a fantastic reintroduction to the place (though I must admit I nodded a couple of times due to exhaustion and jetlag).

I was treated to the movie by my friend Robert. I joined him and his friends for dinner and a pint afterwards. It was a great evening! I find my best guidance in travel is a friend from the area. Robert kept telling me things like, "This is a good place for coffee", "St Valentine's remains are kept here", and "This is where Handel's Messiah was first performed". Of course by the time I made it to my humble hostel bed, my mind was flipping through thoughts.

I did take some pictures. My camera has not been the same since an encounter with a waterfall in Costa Rica last winter. I have to take out the batteries after each shot or else the power will be drained. It slows things down. I guess it is helping me to be more thoughtful towards what I am shooting.

Today I am off to see the Beautty Museum (a collection of ancient Bibles and Korans and such). I will get around to the parks of Dublin as well. It should be another fine day.

Tomorrow I must get up at 4 am to get to the airport on time for my flight to Edinburgh. It will be the first time I fly Ryanair (and possibly the last if all the stories from Robert's friends are true).

I'm not certain when I'll blog again. I should start getting my head into the writer and research soon.

No comments: