Sunday, July 5, 2009

Ediburgh Thoughts

I'm suffering from sensory overload. Several days in Edinburgh can do that to you. Still I haven't eaten haggis. I have had several shop owners try to convince me I need a kilt. And I need to mention I felt fear when I first listened to the radio and couldn't even understand the DJ (though I'm understanding the accent better after several days).

I did manage to get into the National Archives. Friendly folks. I was able to view letters written by Duncan Shaw (the Factor...or Sheriff of Benbecula and other southern islands). The notes had no mention of the mermaid burial, but had interesting information on the island culture of the 1820s.

Tomorrow I'll be back in the archives. I want to look at any church records for the island. Best to find would be a record of the burial (though I think the mermaid wasn't Christian). I'm curious what kinds of information may be found in the island area as well.

I must go and wander the shores. I am starting to get into a proper mindset. I hope to have some decent writing surface soon!

No comments: