Saturday, February 14, 2009

Cosmic Karmic Train

I have a kind of Saturday schedule. It goes like this--get up, have coffee, drive to Cortez, have coffee, visit with friends (if possible), walk to the Methodist Thrift Store, drive to the library (check email...this is where I'm at right now), do some shopping for the week (always groceries...but sometimes other things too), drive to the gas station, gas up, and drive back to Teec Nos Pos. It is my day in the "big city", so I usually take my time and get back to Teec just before sunset (the sun and driving west near sunset can be challenging since my shader (is that what you call it?) broke off). I unload my groceries. I go for a walk with the campus dogs (short if it's cold and longer if it's warm). I eat dinner. I try my best to put one hour into writing every night. After writing, I either read or watch a movie.

Today, I met up with my friends Babette and Wayne at the coffee shop (I say it's a purple building, Babette says it's blue). We visited. I brought photos from my Costa Rica trip. We talked about work. Babette described her situation, "It feels like I'm stuck on flypaper." I can relate. If it weren't for the kids, I'd say my job was just to make money. The kids make it worthwhile though; sometimes they come in to bring writing for the writing club, sometimes they bring in drawings, sometimes they just come in to visit. The Beclabito kids are a great group!

I'm not stuck on flypaper. I'm in limbo. Some people never experience limbo. Some people spend their life in safety. They believe what their parents believe. They usually stay close to where they grew up. They are so fearful they never jump into limbo and see what happens.

The limbo state may have something to do with me moving my own cheese. I want to find my place in the sun. I have let the principal and others know that I will not be staying at the job I'm in. I want the stability and simplicity of having a job I can walk to from my very own home. My resume' is off for Wellsboro, Pennsylvania (where I own a home) as well as the first school I taught at (Moffat in the San Luis Valley of Colorado).

I feel like my cosmic karmic train is about to pull into the station. I look to be getting on board. Limbo isn't too uncomfortable when you know there's a seat soon enough.

1 comment:

Maddie James said...

Hey Joe. I relate. Totally. Limbo. Yeah... I got that, too. :)

k/m