Friday, January 16, 2009

Dog Scrap

I went for a walk last night. I have a 3 mile loop down by some dry ponds up to an illegal dump and back. My neighbor went out before me and most of the neighborhood dogs followed her.

The brown dog, Baby Girl is her name I think, waited for me. The sun was out, so I had a good clip and was enjoying the hike. Along the way the other three dogs that usually go with us joined our pack. each of these dogs have real personality.

There is Fluffy a shaggy large male who is "owned" by the only other Anglo in the area (I put owned in quotes because Tom is home about every third day). Tom also has a kind of ownership with the brown puppy; he took the pup to a vet in Cortez after it was hit couple months back. The dogs tend to hang out at his place because, when he is around, he feeds them.

The last in the pack was (past tense as I fear this pup has gone on to doggy heaven) a mangy black runt that liked to fight.

Anyhow, last night as we were walking...a pack of three vicious dogs came out of the junkyard and surrounded the black pup. They were all putting up a nasty fight. I thought it best to continue on my way. So, I headed back to my apartment and hoped that the fight stopped somehow.

After my evening shave, my neighbor stopped by. She told me that she saw the black dog getting torn to shreds. She carries pepper spray and was able to scare off the pit bull and others. She told me the black dog looked to be dying but was still breathing.

I felt pretty bad. I told her I saw the attack but didn't want to step into a fight. Maybe I was being a wimp. I don't know.

This morning Baby Girl sat on the roadway in front of my truck. I swear the dog was crying. It broke my heart. I guess there's little room for sensitivity on the Rez. I guess we'll all get over it.

On a much better note, I'm getting away to a hot spring for the weekend with a friend.

No comments: