Sunday, December 14, 2008

Dogs are Men, Women are Cats

I remember as a child believing all dogs were male and all cats were female. In fact, I thought they were the same species (as a preschooler I didn't think species...I thought animal). Maybe this was the effect of too many Saturday morning cartoons explaining animal gender.

I've thought this could make a decent topic explaining relationship dynamics...a new twist on Men are From Mars Women are From Venus. While John Gray has some grasp on relationships, I could never take on such a project. Honestly, I'm too dumb.

Isn't that the point though? Dogs really do come off as dumb. Even the "smart" ones are typically driven by a Scooby Snack after rolling over and playing dead.

Cats are so intelligent. One of my ongoing challenges with my former feline friends was finding a toy they actually liked. I would scan the shelves of feathery, bright, jingly toys and go for whatever I found appealing. Typically, I return home unwrap the toy "All Cats Love", toss the wrapper along with the alien object on the ground and always the cats would chose to play with the wrapper (maybe I needed to search the local dumpsters and not the closest pet store).

How does all of this play into my life today? I did get a kind call from my "Friday Night Dance Partner". She explained she was sick. She asked me to forgive her. She told me she would treat me to coffee after I return from my travels. I was glad to hear from her.

Another thing I believed in as a preschooler was that a road with the sign "Dead End" lead to a giant cliff where all cars drove off and joined the wrecked vehicles at the bottom. Kinda morbid.

No comments: