Monday, December 22, 2008

Joe Vs. the Volcano, Hot Spring and Wisdom Teeth

Sometimes I feel I need to be secretive. I guess it´s my stubborn nature. Maybe I just don´t want anyone to worry too much. I had taken this stubborn, secretive approach with dentistry. Yeah, crazy huh? I had planned the beginning my Costa Rica stay around a dentist appointment.

My plan had been to get my lower wisdom teeth pulled and move on to getting all of my teeth straightened. The costs in Costa Rica would in fact pay for my rt flight. It sounded smart...and even thrifty.

I tried to find my bus at the Coca Cola bus station (the station isn´t nearly as refreshing as the drink). After some wandering in a very rough crowd, I decided I could afford to take a taxi.

I got to the hospital complex and followed the directions emailed to me...building number two on the sixth floor. There were no numbers on the buildings, so logic said go to the one next door to the big building. I did. I wandered the sixth floor for a minute or two before figuring out it was the maternity ward. The babies didn´t mind.

Asking a desk person where I need to go she pointed out and beyond...one more building. I found the place. The office reminded me of a chain store hair salon. I sat on the white leather couch and listened to the elevator music as I rolled my tongue over my wisdom teeth...fully expected they had little time left in my mouth.

The dentist I was to see walked by waving in a princess manner to everyone...except me (another dentist would soon explain she expected me at 11:30 and not 1:30). So I sat and waited. I finally was directed in to a dentist chair. The dentist asked me about my teeth. Were they bothering me? Why did I need them pulled...and such. I told him I´d like to get them straightened and felt the only way would be to have my wisdom teeth pulled to create some room.

His response- your teeth are really good. Then he had an orthodontist come in to look at them. He felt they might be straightened without extracting any teeth. So, three days of waiting and 50$ later, I had my teeth looked at by a dentist. I guess I have mixed feelings about the whole damn thing.

Anyhow...tomorrow being my birthday, I decided to treat myself to a tour of a volcano and a visit to a hot spring (ends up it´ll cost me the same as my trip to the dentist). It´s true a vacation should never be mixed with a dental appointment. Off to find some grub!

No comments: