Thursday, November 20, 2008

Back to the Steps

Sometimes you seek inspiration and it's just around the corner. Yesterday was a corner. I had a guest speaker from a local college. I was impressed with how well she connected with the ladies in my class. After her presentation, my students went to spend playtime with their children and I took a minute to visit with Michele.

Her being Native gives her insight that I sometimes lack. She gave me some ideas for a health unit. We talked about specifics and possibilites. I sometimes forget about the potential differences I'm making as an instructor of adult students. I once asked a group of my students to list the people their education had a direct impact on; one grandmother had over 50 relatives listed! So, while the numbers in my class may be small, the impact of my efforts can be great.

I guess physical health has been on my mind...but I've not been putting time into other health aspects. In my mind, I'm returning to 12 steps work. For myself I've added the 13th step of "Move on!". It's powerful to sincerely look at yourself in the mirror (both literally and figuratively). I need to help give my students some of the tools needed to thrive in this world. So, I'm inspired and realigning with all of the potential. It's good!

No comments: