Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sunday Reflections

You ever have one of those day when acquaintances smilingly invade your space with, "How are you?'? For me there is a short pause before I respond. Usually, I weigh being honest against not being a bummer.

I phoned Cheryl at the rehab center yesterday afternoon. She would have left a message she said. The hawk had 3/4ths inch of exposed bone and had to be put to sleep...she didn't think leaving this news on my answering machine was right. We talked for awhile and her voice cracked up a couple of times. I assured her we both did everything we could.

On a related topic, my neighbor stopped by last night to see if the bird had died (he wanted the tail feathers). I told him the woman at the rehab center was upset and I hadn't asked what they did with the body. He left after a short time; I guess he could sense that I felt the bird was worth more alive.

I spent some time working on my most recent novel last night. I plan to complete all of my revisions before I leave on my winter break trip to Costa Rica. The long list of considerations from Kevin McColley, as well as comments from a local friend who gave feedback on Navajo tradition, need to be considered. I enjoy revision; to me it's something like a word puzzle. How do you across to the readers all you mean to?

My hand has nearly healed. I did wake up with a late night concern. I felt itchy here and there. Most likely it is from the change in weather. I worried about getting mites or some other parasite from the bird handling. It brought emotional flashbacks of my earliest time with Neuro-Cutaneous Syndrome (Morgellons if you prefer). I didn't rest well and changed my bedding when I got up. I guess part of healing is dissolving the trauma.

As I once told a friend--I don't like books or movies that are predictable. Why would I want a life that's predictable?

1 comment:

raynew said...

Joe doesn't write that slow - but if you wrote every day, I'd love that!
I know, I've been thinking about a blog myself & will never write every day - though I love writing (and have time to write some) - but reading your blog's somewhat addictive.
So, even if nothing happens, please us know about it!
Take care,

Manu from Paris