Monday, November 24, 2008

Sandy Consumerism

Yesterday, I drove from Teec to Sandy, Utah. It's a long drive (about 7 hours). I chopped it up into small bites. First, I made it to Pam and David's just north of Cortez for a morning conversation and coffee. Then, I made an impromptu stop in Cahone at too-much-of-something-back-in-the-60s friend who owns the old trading post (to visit and buy fresh beans). Finally, I explored an interesting thrift store in Moab (part of what makes it interesting is that it is open on Sundays). I managed to pull up to Chris and Jane's just before the sunset.

Today was a fine mix of productive and consumptive. Feeling motivated, I trekked down to the nearby Starbucks for a fancy coffee and to work on my current novel. I can feel my brain hemorrhaging over the process on some days and on other days (like today) the pen writes by itself. Odd, eh? I felt content with my writing by lunch and so made my mecca to Ross's, Ikea, and a nearby mall.

Ruth, an attractive Israeli kiosk salesperson, tried to convince me to buy some cleaning oil/salt from the Dead Sea and polished one of my nails. She also gave me a list of places I needed to go in Costa Rica. I didn't buy anything. Should I feel guilty? No.

3 comments:

raynew said...

Apparently people tend to write a lot at first, and then it's difficult to keep up (reason why I haven't written a novel, diary, blog or anything else yet I guess) - but when you do write it's a pleasure to read you, Joe, so please keep it up, I'm a fan!
I also read yr article 'bout Morgellon's - if you need any help with things French - translation, pictures, docs, whatever - just ask, I'd love to help.
Meanwhile... all the best!

Emmanuel

Shawn said...

I find that writing is a process of punctuated equilibrium... much of the time is spent in plateaus or very slight inclines of non-productivity, then other times I can just spit it out, pages at a time.

raynew said...

Exactly!